Saturday, November 04, 2006

The 411 on the Movies: The Prestige

So now that we've introduced ourselves, we can get down to the serious business of blogging: inflicting our unfounded, half-baked opinions on an unsuspecting world.

I went and saw The Prestige last night, and quite liked it. The trouble with discussing movies like this is that the entire purpose to go and see them is their suspense, so reviews of them are inherently more difficult to write than for other films. So I can't tell you why I thought the movie's ending felt like a bit of a cheat ("Wow! Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad!" "Thanks for ruining it for us.") but I can tell you that I felt a little let down by it. Which was a shame, because it had been a remarkable ride up until that point; both Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are very good in the lead roles, I think I'd watch Scarlett Johansson doing about anything (except eating cheese, which apparently is something she enjoys. Ugh. Cheese.) and Michael Caine and David Bowie, of all people, are excellent in supporting roles. Plus I like magic. So it set up very well for the end, and then blew it completely in the final fifteen minutes with a two-part twist ending that was half obvious and half ludicrous. Say no more.

Anyway, it's still worth seeing, I think. I've now knocked off one-third of the movies I wanted to see in the next couple of weeks, so there's that. More 411 on the movies forthcoming...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .