Monday, December 11, 2006

Apologea

Let me say, Ian, that it's nice to have you posting so much to the blog after a short hiatus. I am myself in the middle of exams, so I haven't had too much time to spend blogging, and I'm glad you're picking up the slack. I'm sure anyone reading this is getting a lot of stimulation, though given how many comments we get, we seem to be writing for ourselves.

I agree that the apologism for Pinochet is sickening. It goes both ways - people seem happy to tolerate Castro's crimes because Cuba has free health care. On both ends of the spectrum, there is moral and intellectual bankruptcy. People who seem to think that anyone who opposes gay marriage is a bigot defend a man who viciously persecuted homosexuals. People who think that the U.S. should go around the world deposing tyrants apologize for a tyrant because he supported free enterprise. There's no shortage of hypocrisy and sickening apologism all over the political spectrum. It falls to we few, we reasonable few, to point it out and stand erect in our rightness.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian Gray said...

I rather think that was the point I was trying to make, old man-that Castro apologism does not excuse Pinochet apologism and vice versa. This is not to say that useful discussions can't be had about aspects of dictators' record in office-universal health care in Cuba, privatisation in Chile and so on. It's just to say that these aspects are, of necessity, secondary to the human rights abuses of these regimes.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter provided by www.website-hit-counters.com .